Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek

Coming in August

Tomato Girl


Author: Jayne Pupek
Publisher: Algonquin
Published: August 1st, 2008
isbn: 9781565124721

This is a truly great book. Eleven-year-old Ellie Sanders reminded me of Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Ellie is young girl in the midst of a situation completely out of control, and which she only vaguely understands. Unfortunately, Ellie doesn't have Atticus for a father. Ellie's life is more like Tom Robinson's; unjust, undeserved, and much too cruel. Despite her awful family life, Ellie remains a loving daughter and I think it's this innocence and ability to locate goodness in the people around her that most reminded me of Scout. Absolutely read this one!
- Lisa

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Hi Lisa,

I want to thank you for reading my novel, and for reviewing it here on your blog. I'm moved by your response to the story and to your comparison of Ellie to Scout in the wonderful, "To Kill a Mockingbird."

I'm crossing my fingers that others enjoy the book as much you did.

Best,

Jayne